How to apply for a Working With Children Check (WWCC)
If you are a volunteer the check does not cost anything. If you are in paid employment
working with young people there is a cost of $80.00.
STEP 1: Fill in an online application form
- Go to www.newcheck.kids.nsw.gov.au and fill in the online application form. If you do not have access to the internet, please call (02) 9286 7219 for assistance.
- Please make sure the details you provide are EXACTLY THE SAME as the details on your identity documents. If you have submitted the form with a mistake, please redo the form to avoid problems with the proof of identity requirement at step two.
- Ensure you select the correct category: paid or volunteer worker. The $80 fee for paid workers is not refundable if you are a volunteer and you choose ‘paid worker’ by mistake. A Check will cover both paid and volunteer work in NSW for five years.
- If you are a volunteer the check is free to receive.
- If you are in doubt as to your status (paid or volunteer), select volunteer as you can choose to pay at a later date.
- Once you have submitted the form, you will receive an application number that looks like this: APP1234567.
STEP 2: Present proof of your identity.
- Go to a NSW motor registry or NSW Council Agency that offers RMS services.
- You will need your application number and proof of your identity (same as for a NSW driver’s licence). You must have both of these items for your application to proceed.
- If you are in paid work with young people, you will also be required to pay an $80.00 fee for a five year clearance.
Before you go to a NSW motor registry or Council Agency:
- You cannot submit proof of identity on behalf of someone else. You must appear in person with your own documentation.
- Proof of identity cannot be performed outside of NSW. It must be completed at a NSW motor registry or NSW Council Agency that offers RMS services.
- Additional identity verification options are available for authorised carers and their adult household members who live interstate, and for those who are medically unable to attend a motor registry or Government Access Centre.
Receiving your results
- You will receive your outcome and Working With Children Check number by email (or post if you do not have an email address).
- We strongly suggest that you request to receive your number by email as it’s the fastest way to receive your number