At the end of April into early May, Ministers and Lay People from the Riverina Presbytery met at St Edmunds Centre, Galong, for the annual Retreat. The three-day programme was co-ordinated by Larraine Hoffman and the retreat leader was Rev Linda Chapman, Anglican priest at Moruya on the South Coast. She is sitting on the right in the photo.
Under Linda’s knowledgeable and sensitive guidance, retreat members explored the world of Meditation, involving an exploration of the practice of contemplation and the role of Silence in our religious life. It was an experience not known well by most of us and we all agreed at the end that we had learnt a considerable amount and had much still to discover about this significant part of our spiritual being.
Linda was asked to supply a preliminary Reading List for further understanding and she supplied the following titles:
- From the Bottom of the Pond: Simon Small (the forgotten art of experiencing God in the depths of the present moment)
- Prayer in the Cave of the Heart: The Universal Call to Contemplation Cyprian Consiglio Christian Meditation:
- The Gethsemeni Talks John Main osb
- Centering Prayer and Inner Awakening Cynthia Bourgeault Lost in Wonder:
- Rediscovering the Art of Attentiveness Esther de Waal
- Silence:A User’s Guide Maggie Ross
- And anything by Laurence Freeman osb
Andrew Thornley (IIM)